Sunday, October 7, 2007

Meet Diversey!

Finally, my introduction. I'm Diversey, of the long-dormant Diversey Stinks. I'm sure the entire readership knows my real name, but really, what's the point of having a blog if you can't go by a fun nickname?

I'm not high-maintenance by any means. I just love product. I'm also a sampler, and my tastes change as often as my socks. It's more expensive than product loyalty, but also much more fun.

My current rituals and rotation are:

Face: My skin is probably combination, possibly sensitive. I occasionally get breakouts, but I'm more concerned about the enormous and constantly clogged pores on my nose. They're not particularly ugly or bothersome, and I can spackle over them with some primer with no ill effect, but I'm still fixated on figuring out how to ungunk them. I've put everything on my face from apple cider to milk of magnesia (olive oil is next), and in the meantime I entertain fantasies about tiny vaccuums and microscopic construction workers with minuscule shovels to dig the stuff out.

Until I find a product with magical pore-digging powers, I am using Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish Cleanser on some days, and generic Cetaphil on other days, not because I like it but because it's what I happen to have with me. I wash my face only once a day, twice if I really need it, and I don't currently do much in the way of scrubbing or toning. And, although I know it's a beauty crime, I haven't been moisturizing either. I apologize. But when I do moisturize, I have used JASON 5,000 IU Vitamin E Creme every winter for years, and I use Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer in all other seasons.

Body: I usually have at least six shower gels and soaps in rotation in my shower at any given point. My only requirement is that they smell good; I prefer shower gels because the scent doesn't fade. For all-purpose, moisture-style washing, Olay Ultra Moisture Body Wash works well for me. Instead of scrubby gels, I use this thing that looks like a toilet brush or bath gloves; both are fantastic. I can't tolerate shaving my legs with anything with less than 3 blades from Gillette. Seriously, I've tried everything else.

I keep swearing never again to buy lotion with a strong fragrance, because sometimes you need lotion but not stinkiness, but occasionally I falter. The greatest lotion ever is Gold Bond Ultimate Healing, though I do really like The Body Shop's Brazil Nut Body Butter. Scented dry oil sprays and Lush massage bars are excellent for getting soft and fragrant right after a shower.

Hair: I try to do as little with my hair as possible. Unfortunately, this often means I am three months overdue for a haircut. My ends tend to dry out, and the roots of my hair are almost always darker than the ends, even though I haven't dyed my hair in over a year.

I swear by Suave products, particularly the Daily Clarifying Shampoo and the Professional series conditioners. They work as well as anything else I've put on my head, and they're dirt cheap, which is important if I'm going to dump a handful of conditioner on my head every other day. If I feel like a splurge, I like Redken All-Soft Heavy Cream (which, like Jennie, I also will use as a daily treatment) and Rusk Sensories, particularly Full shampoo and Calm conditioner. Clinique used to make a shampoo that I loved, and that smelled amazing despite being fragrance-free, but it's discontinued and I miss it.

I never blow-dry and I dislike styling, but if I have to I'll bust out a ceramic flat iron and whatever silicone anti-frizz product happens to be the cheapest, because they're all essentially the same. My current bottle is from Got2B, though I think Garnier makes a good product, but really, just go poke around the drugstore and compare ingredients and prices and volumes.

Make-up: Oh lordy. I own so much of it, but rarely wear it on a daily basis. For my face, I like tinted moisturizers with SPF; Neutrogena and MAC both make ones I really like. Maybelline Pure Makeup offers a little more coverage, but still looks natural. I'm still searching for the perfect heavy-duty full-coverage makeup that doesn't make me look chalky.

I don't use primer very often, though I own both Smashbox Photo Finish and Laura Geller Spackle. Since I don't wear heavy foundation, I don't see the need for it.

I do, however, love Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector for filling in those aforementioned nose pores. Often I can get away with just this and no makeup.

And this is another one of my crazy household tricks, but I swear that a very light dusting of plain cornstarch is just as good as any translucent powder for matteness. If you look at the ingredients list of something like Bare Minerals Mineral Veil, you'll see that cornstarch is the first ingredient. See? I'm not crazy, and I just saved you eighteen bucks.

I don't use blush particularly often, since my cheeks are pink enough anyway, but like just about everyone else in this world I own Nars Orgasm and have to admit that I like the way it looks on me.

Lipstick never lasts particularly long on me, so I prefer stains. A tiny dab of LORAC Sheer Wash does the trick for me. I prefer lip stains to be water-based rather than gel-based, and closer to brick red than pink red, so it's hard for me to find a stain that matches my specifications. If I need something less sheer, I'll go for one of those long-lasting lip products that have the tube of special gloss included. You know what I'm talking about. Cover Girl is as good as anything in this field. I own about eight hundred lip glosses and balms in various colors, so I'll skip that entirely. That's an entry for another day.

Eye makeup, however, is my true weakness. I own, at last count, at least thirty MAC eyeshadows, though if you're looking for a cheap bit of color I recommend Milani or Sally Girl shadows. Larenim makes some gorgeous, sparkly eye colors that have to be seen to be believed. Ben Nye and Kryolan are also fantastic; look for them in professional costume supply stores, or check out the lovely Shrinkle on Ebay for Kryolan products and fabulous false eyelashes.

If you are going for a look using a lot of eye color, Urban Decay Primer Potion is a must. I used to think, "eyeshadow primer, pfft, just another product I don't need," but believe me, it really is a must. Colors are much brighter and stay put much longer. If you prefer a more subtle, natural eye, you can skip the primer, but if you do have electric blue shadow and want to do it justice, get the Primer Potion.

(Though if you're the type who just wants to dab something sheer on with your finger and be done with it, you will be very happy with MAC Rubenesque Paint Pot. I love this stuff.)

With all the eyeshadow I own, you'd probably think I go for insane ultra-lengthening-thickening mascara, right? Not quite. The same DNA that has given me embarrassingly dark arm hair and straggly hairs on my toes is responsible for my naturally long eyelashes. They just need a little bit of darkening, for I have the same blond lash tips as Izzy Willy-Nilly. (Come on, you totally read that book in middle school.) So, for the one-legged teenager in you, Neutrogena comes through once again with their Clean Lash Tint. I'd recommend a thicker mascara, but do you guys really need one?

Eyeliner has usually taken a backseat to eyeshadow for me, but I still own plenty of it. I like a gray, bronze, or burgundy shadow for subtler looks, and reserve black for bolder looks. I have no brand preferences for eyeliner pencils, though I far prefer the twist-up variety to the traditional kind that needs a sharpener. If you're handy with a brush, try MAC Fluidline, which stays on for days, or Urban Decay Liquid Liner. Or just get a skinny brush and try one of your eyeshadows wet.


Fragrance: Suffice it to say I own a lot, and the details of my entire collection will certainly emerge in posts to come. My current favorites are Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose, L'Artisan Dzing!, Demeter Lychee, Arrogance Mix Litchi Almond, Kiehl's Original Musk (the oil, not the EDT), and Creed 2000 Fleurs.

I'm also a fan of body sprays from Bath and Body Works and Victoria's Secret. What can I say? Old habits die hard.

...And I've only scratched the surface. There's more to come. Lots more.

4 comments:

Natasha said...

Hey, impressive eyeshadow collection! Would you maybe consider doing a little post (with photos) on how to apply color eyeshadows sometime? I'm bad at it and I have a hard time applying just one neutral color and having it look good.

Diversey said...

I'm not terribly good at it either, to be honest, but I can definitely try. Hopefully I'll get a hold of a digital camera.

All for the sake of art and education, right?

Natasha said...

Yay!

Suzanne said...

I also seached endlessly for that product with "magical pore-digging powers" and I finally found it! Clarisonic Skin Care Brush Reviews. After a lifetime of pain I now have PERFECT PORES!!!!