Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Metalmouth part deux


So, for all of you at home biting your nails (bad girls!) about lead and lipstick, you are cordially invited to read Paula Begoun's take on the matter.

In brief: Paula says it's fear-mongering and we should double our efforts to get the lead out of other, higher-impact environmental sources like food and water. Paint your faces, harlots!

Now, I really like Paula Begoun and her handy product reviews...but the woman calls herself the Cosmetic Cop. Yikes. Overstatement of authority much? She knows a lot about which cosmetics make you look pretty but maybe less about whether a pregnant woman is putting herself at risk by wearing Cover Girl. As for the FDA, I trust it them as much as I do our other glorious government agencies like FEMA, the DoD, Homeland Security and the DEA: as far as I can throw them.

I'd recommend anyone curious to check out the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics. Then you can make up your own mind on the matter. Since I'm not in a high risk group for lead, I'll keep using conventional lipstick. I like to live on the edge, you know?

I'm happy for the heightened awareness of questionable makeup ingredients. I will definitely look into the companies that the CfSC lists as having pledged to keep carcinogens and other hazardous materials out of their products. "Good-for-the-earth" and "good-for-my-health" make me nearly as happy as "beautiful bottle" or "heavenly scent." (Of course, it's only fair of me to point out that the corporations listed by this non-profit website are completely for-profit and interested in catering to a niche market.)

Is it hard to get a nice, shiny red without lead, I wonder? I'm quite in favor of asking L'Oreal to make products with no tracable lead levels. I'm also going to write a quick email to Nars, my favorite lipstick maker, and ask them where they stand on the issue.

No comments: